D’Arts et de rêves is a non-profit organization created in 2015 which aims to promote creation in three artistic disciplines – visual arts, literature, and contemporary circus arts – and to facilitate the accessibility and appreciation of these arts by the public. This organization recognizes itself in the values of democratization of the arts, exploration and sharing of artistic experiences, and collective production.
By its nature-culture vocation, D’Arts et de rêves offers an experience combining appropriation of nature territory and artistic creation. To this end, it has established and operates a seven-acre cultural park open to all, where sculptures and areas for creating are set up, as a place of creation and dissemination, that is a residence open to artists of the three targeted disciplines. The residency time allows artists to explore, to experiment, to develop their projects and their art in a spirit of innovation, interdisciplinary sharing, as well as sharing with the arts community and the people of the region.
D’Arts et de rêves is not only rooted in the community, but it is also open to local, regional, and national communities. The beautiful natural environment of the region, in addition to its artistic vitality, provides an environment conducive to resourcing and creation.
- The residence can accommodate two artists of two different disciplines at a time.
- City of Sutton in the Eastern Townships in Québec where culture and nature build on one another.
- In the heart of a vibrant, diverse, and dynamic arts community: Sutton has the highest density of artists in Canada and includes art galleries, artists’ studios, and a theater where shows and films can be enjoyed.
- An environment where both French and English cultures merge to form today’s Québecois culture.
- Magnificent mountainous area in the Eastern Townships
- Winter and summer sports: skiing, hiking, biking…
The residence and creating spaces
- Renovated barn, dating from the last century, situated near a creek and at the entrance of a seven-acre cultural park.
- Within walking distance of the heart of Sutton
- Daily bus service between Montreal and Sutton (Limocar Bus)
- Designed to accommodate two artists at a time: two private rooms and common areas (bathroom, kitchen, dining room, and workspaces).
- Internet access
- Linens and towels provided at the beginning of stay
- Washer and dryer
- For circus artists: The residency offer is now directed solely to artists who wish to work on designing an act, floor acrobatics, juggling, or hand-to-hand. Artists have access to a 24′ x 12′ work surface covered with dance mats. More comprehensive facilities with rigging points are still under development.
Financial and Hosting terms
- Residence open year round
- Length of stay: two to six weeks
- Cost :
- $275 for two weeks
- $525 for four weeks
- $650 for six weeks
- The cost is for one artist in one room; if there is more than one person, you must pay for the two rooms.
- Artists who request the presence of collaborators during their stay must pay an additional 100$ for a two-week stay, 200$ for a four-week stay, and 300$ for a six six-week stay. These lump sum payments are fixed regardless of the numbers of days or collaborators working with the artists.
- A maximum of six (6) persons, in total, can work in the residence during the day.
- Residence available for artists only. No overnight guests accepted. Lodging facilities (inns, B&Bs, hotels) available in Sutton for the artists’ guests. A list can be provided on request.
- Transportation, supplies and meals are the artist’s responsibility.
- Personnel work equipment, including computer and telephone, is the artist’s responsibility.
- The residence is a non-smoking environment.
- A contract will be signed with the selected artists specifying the responsibilities of each party.
Duration of residency
From two to six weeks
In the renovated barn, the artists have their own private room and share common areas
Disciplines, work equipment and assistance
Professional artists in visual arts, literature and circus
Studio / Workspace
One 9×9 workshop, one 14×13 writing studio, 24×24 open space unheated, 24×30 open space unheated (2nd floor of the barn)
Fees and support
From 275$ to 750$ CAD, from two to six weeks
Expectations towards the artist
Meeting with the public is obligatory, can be a talk, exhibition or workshop