With the aim of encouraging curatorial research in tandem with exhibition planning, the PADA Curatorial Open Call aims to provide one deserving curator the necessary resources to realize an innovative project at PADA in conjunction with the International Residency program and the gallery at PADA. PADA provides guidance and resources to the curator, who will produce a group exhibition with related public programming and an accompanying text. The curator will also be expected to work alongside the residency programme throughout their stay as part of the team at PADA
The selected curator will receive support from the team at PADA , including installation guidance in preparation for the exhibition. In addition, the curator will be provided with accommodation close to PADA.
Proposals are evaluated on merit of project, singularity of concept, and adherence to the application guidelines.
- Proposals must be conceptually rigorous and focus on artists, projects, and themes that are innovative, challenging, and engaging.
- Extra consideration will be given to proposals that demonstrate a creative approach to curatorial research methods and the exhibition plan, as well as those that present ideas or topics that are not well-represented in the commercial sector.
- Proposals that demonstrate an awareness of the local history and in particular the relevance of Companhia Uniao Fabril to Barreiro and Portugal are encouraged.
- The proposal must include four or more artists, at least half of which should live and work in Portugal.
- Curators may not include their own work in the exhibition.
- Extra consideration will be given to those in the beginning stages of their curatorial careers.
WHAT THE OPPORTUNITY INCLUDES
- 3 week exhibition at PADA Gallery
- Curatorial support/mentoring from an established artist or curator on the selection panel
- Opportunities to develop related public programming
- Technical Support in the installation of the exhibition
- A €700 budget to assist with all expenses including shipping costs.
- Opening reception
- Press materials and PR support
- The selected curator will be responsible for organising all aspects of the proposed exhibition.
- 5 days a month the curator will be expected to help with the residency program working with artists in residence.
- The curator in residence will be expected to take part in activities at PADA and work alongside the artists.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The Open Call will be judged by the PADA board and will focus on the excellence of the application but will also take into account how the applicant will fit in with the team and artists in residence at PADA.
The deadline for applications is 15th November and successful applicants will be informed by the 20th November.
This open call will be scheduling for 3 periods in 2020
February 2nd – April 30th
June 4th – August 28th
October 4th – December 1st
- Cover Letter describing your interest in working at PADA
- Short text describing how you will be able to add to the residency programme at PADA
- Exhibition proposal that outlines both the concept and plan for the exhibition – up to 800 words
- List of at least four participating artists and short bios for each
- Curator’s CV
- Work samples – up to 10 images of previous projects.
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019.
Artists will be in shared accommodation with their own private double bedroom. The apartment is within the industrial park in the old workers quarter.
Disciplines, work equipment and assistance
Curators at any stage of their career may apply. Technical support as well as all the facilities at PADA are included.
Studio / Workspace
Curators will be provided with deskspace as well as access to workshops and the gallery at PADA.
Fees and support
there are no fees
Expectations towards the artist
The curator will be expected to take part in all activities at PADA as well as work with the artists in residence.
Application Process includes: Cover Letter describing your interest in working at PADA. Short text describing how you will be able to add to the residency programme at PADA. Exhibition proposal that outlines both the concept and plan for the exhibition – up to 800 words, List of at least four participating artists and short bios for each. Curator’s CV Work samples – up to 10 images of previous projects.