ARE YOU ARTIST / CURATOR INTERESTED IN SUSTAINABILITY PRACTICES? DO YOU WANT TO ADDRESS ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND PRESENT SOLUTIONS THROUGH YOUR CREATIVE PROJECT, RESEARCH OR DEBATE, WHILE EXPLORING BULGARIA?
WoC Artist Residency 2020:
In 2020 WoC team is looking for project proposals based on creating an awareness of the important issues that the planet is facing, whether it is a social issue, cultural, political or environmental issue. More specifically, the main focus is to increase awareness on sustainability through art and design projects. The works will aim to show how art can help us deal with the rapidly changing world.
Living and working in the beautiful AiR apartment in the city center of Sofia, participating artists dive into friendly, comfortable but experimental atmosphere. By bringing together different areas of practice, WoC generates new artistic processes and fosters creative energy. The Residency is designed for artists at all stages of their careers interested in experimenting with new techniques, developing new work, or focusing on research.
The end of the residency will be celebrated by showcasing the projects in a group exhibition.
World of Co Artist Residency (WoC) is the first all-year round international artist residency program in Bulgaria. The initiative started in 2017 with the mission to create space for artistic exploration and to introduce international artists to the cultural life of Sofia. So far we welcomed more than 95 artists from all around the world, working in art, film, literature, fashion and other creative disciplines.
Why artist residency in Bulgaria?
Bulgaria is a country in Eastern Europe, with a rich cultural history and blooming contemporary art scene worth to be discovered. Моreover the entangled Orthodox and pre-Christian beliefs and rituals, make it interesting for learning symbols and mythology. The mixture of different influences – Thracian, Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, Soviet and European, is still visible in the urban structures, architecture, culture, and traditions. As a country in the heart of Balkans it is a great starting point for discovering the neighboring countries.
Sofia is a vibrant capital, nestled in Vitosha Mountain – nice escape for picnics, hiking or skiing. The city is full of parks and green areas, but also cafés, bars and restaurants where you can try the tasty Balkan cuisine. While exploring independent art spaces, galleries and museums, you will be surrounded by buildings from the Roman empire, to Art Nouveau, Brutalist communist structures and modern surroundings. If you stay in Sofia it is easy to find art supply stores and printing services on affordable prices. The city is also connected to the rest of the country with buses and trains, if you want to discover the rest of the country.
AiR PROGRAM – PROVIDED ACTIVITIES AND SERVICES
- Private room and desk in shared studio space in the AiR apartment, in the hearth of Sofia
- Providing individual discussion about your artistic work with established artist
- Providing technical and research support in the implementation of the artists’ projects
- Connecting with the local artists through organized studio visits
- Curated open studio or group exhibition at the end of the stay
- Presenting and promoting the artists and their projects produced during the residency through World of Co network, website and social media
- Group meetings throughout the residency:
- First group meeting: Artist talks and goals for residence
- Group sharing discussions on progress/issues/problem solving
- Gallery show organization, artist statements, bios, invites, set up
- Building an effective online presence for artists – tips and advises
- Learning the basics of Bulgarian language with World of Co team
- Welcome pack and Q&A on-boarding session – practical information about your life in Sofia
- Selected list with independent art spaces, institutional art galleries and museums, art supply stores, print shops, hardware shops, bars, restaurants in Sofia
- Curated list of art and culture events happening in Sofia during your stay
- Bulgarian SIM card
- Cleaning service