Intercultural ODYSSEYS Costa Rica has hosted hundreds of artists from as far abroad as Newfoundland, Canada, Australia, Sweden, Switzerland, France, Germany, Portugal, Argentina, Mexico, U.S.A. and England (including from the remote island of Guernsey, of the English Channel islands) – and growing. Though Spanish is our local language, English is spoken widely, and we’ve hosted artists who spoke neither. Those are the kinds of challenges we love. So if you can imagine your project and have the professional skills to make it happen during your residency, we do everything possible to provide you with the uninterrupted time, space and inspiration you need.
Exploring Art and Culture in Costa Rica
We provide each artist-in-residence with the following:
- Selection Committee review and evaluation of portfolio or manuscript.
- Airport pick-up on arrival date as arranged in advance with ODYSSEYS staff (though transportation to the airport on departure is not included in the Residency Fee, ODYSSEYS staff members will assist with making those arrangements).
- ODYSSEYS standard food, lodging and workspace accommodations in a Home Stay with a carefully selected host family. This includes three meals daily, Monday through Friday, a private bedroom and shared bathroom, weekly laundry services, housecleaning and change of bed & bath linens, plus access to all common spaces within the home’s indoor and outdoor areas. Work spaces vary by home. Standard Residency Fee applies.
- Also available, ODYSSEYS optional food, lodging and workspace accommodations at our partnering Holistic Wellness Center. This includes meals catered by a nutritionist and delivered on demand, pay as you go–at local prices. A private suite with private bedroom and bathroom shared with no more than one other person; mini fridge and sitting area, as well as access to the Center’s ample common areas, work spaces, indoor garden spots and two huge salons for yoga and dance/choreography practice. Weekly laundry services may incur an additional fee. Optional Residency Fee applies.
- Individual work spaces are provided as described below as well as possible, according to artist’s discipline, any arrangements made during the application process, and the artist’s choice of Home Stay or Wellness Center for accommodations.
- Both Home Stay and Holistic Wellness Center accommodations provide WiFi/Internet on site.
- Abundant and inexpensive local Internet cafes within walking distance of artist accommodations.
- Cultural immersion into a truly community-based Artists’ Colony.
- Opportunities to practice Spanish or learn some (a working knowledge is helpful but not required, classes and tutoring available)
- Preference to residencies of one month or longer.
- Requests for shorter residencies, even two weeks or less are allowed, but may be reserved for returning artists–those who have previously been in residence with Odysseys.
- Same-day as arrival or next-morning orientation to the program and Costa Rica, with a tour of San Ramón.
- Two weekly events hosted by ODYSSEYS, integrating all artists in residence, regardless of their accommodation choices: 1) An afternoon or after-dinner get-together, usually Tuesdays, for all artists in residence to share their work with each other, local artists when possible, and with the Program Director; encouraged, never required, in the form of open studios, presentations, readings, and general discussions. And 2) One local outing, usually Fridays, to galleries, museums, theaters and other aspects of local culture, as well as adventure trips to beaches, volcanoes, and other natural wonders of Costa Rica. Friday day trips abroad are generally by efficient and inexpensive local buses.