From spring until autumn, current art trends are presented in alternating exhibits and art projects which represent artists from Germany and around the world.
The Society for the Promotion of Schloss Plschow offers foreign artist the opportunity to live and work in the castle for a limited period of time.
Schloss Plschow was built in 1763 by the Hamburg businessman Heinrich von Stenglin as a summer residence. In 1802 the extensive property was acquired by Friedrich Ludwig, heir to the throne of Mecklenburg, and remained in possession of the grand ducal family until 1945. Today, the artistic rococo ceiling moldings and nineteenth-century classical style stoves ( three of which still exist) bear witness to the castle?s once rich furnishings.
After 1945 the building was first used as a shelter for war refugees. Over the years it has served as food-service kitchen, a kindergarten, a restaurant, and as administrative offices. Although the castle has been listed as a historic monument since the 1950s, reconstruction work on the badly deteriorated building did not begin until 1988. From the start of the reconstruction, planners considered using the castle for cultural purposes. Its spacious rooms and accessible but peaceful location offered ideal conditions for establishing an artists? center.
The Society for the Promotion of Schloss Plschow was founded in 1990 with the aim of offering space for modern art to prosper within the castle?s historical architecture. The society?s main concerns are to provide an innovative artistic program and to create an institution for the modern, cosmopolitan promotion of artists in Mecklenburg
- Independent Association/Foundation
- Months: 1 – 3
- Visual Art