All artists in residence with Intercultural ODYSSEYS Costa Rica receive:
Selection Committee review and evaluation of portfolio or manuscript.
Airport pick-up on arrival date.
Choice of the two following accommodation options:
1) One of our partnering Home Stays: Food, lodging and workspace in the home of a carefully selected host family. This includes three meals daily, Monday through Friday, a private bedroom and shared bathroom, weekly laundry services, housecleaning and change of bed & bath linens, plus access to all common spaces within the home’s indoor and outdoor areas, for work and leisure. Work spaces vary by home.
2) Our partnering Holistic Wellness Center: Meals the responsibility of each artist, with various options including catering by a nutritionist and delivered on demand, pay as you go–at local prices, meals prepared by artists themselves on the premises, or meals purchased locally (or any combination of the above). A private suite with private bedroom and bathroom shared with no more than one other artist (only two private bedrooms per suite); mini fridge and sitting area, as well as access to the Center’s ample common areas, work spaces, indoor garden spots and two huge salons for yoga/dance/choreography.
All ODYSSEYS accommodations provide WiFi/Internet on site.
Abundant and inexpensive local Internet cafes within walking distance of all artist accommodations.
Cultural immersion into a truly community-based Artists’ Colony.
Opportunities to practice Spanish or learn some (a working knowledge is helpful but not required, classes and tutoring available)
Preference may be given to residencies of one month or longer, but requests for short-notice residencies and shorter residencies, even two weeks or less are encouraged, especially for returning artists–those who have previously been in residence with Odysseys.
Same-day as arrival or next-morning orientation to the program and Costa Rica, with a tour of San Ramón.
Two weekly events hosted by ODYSSEYS, integrating all artists in residence, regardless of their accommodation choices: 1) An afternoon or after-dinner get-together, usually Tuesdays, for all artists in residence to share their work with each other, local artists when possible, and with the Program Director; encouraged, never required, in the form of open studios, presentations, readings, and general discussions. And 2) One group day trip, usually Fridays, to galleries, museums, theaters and other aspects of local culture, as well as adventure trips to local folkloric communities, beaches, volcanoes and natural hot springs, butterfly and nature reserves and other natural wonders of Costa Rica.
WRITERS are provided a private space with standard desk or table and chair (adjustable when possible).
COMPOSERS are provided private work space for their own equipment, or the option of either a professional electronic keyboard in their accommodations/workspace, or access to a piano at SINEM, our local music institute, within a 15-minute walk from either Home Stay or Holistic Wellness Center accommodations. Composers working within the environments of either their Home Stay or our partnering Holistic Wellness Center, will need to be respectful of their surroundings, which may require use of earphones or other forms of working silently. In the private studio rooms of our local music institute, pianos are available and noise is not a factor.
VISUAL ARTISTS – Many of our visual artists are photographers, videographers, multi-media artists, muralists and plein air painters who work out and about. For those who work indoors our host families typically have indoor and covered outdoor garden areas with natural light and space for work. This requires ingenuity and flexibility on the part of the artist, but has worked well for many over the years.
Visual artists who require more formal indoor studio space must request this during the application process, and must understand that this may only be available with our partnering Holistic Wellness Center accommodation option. Though in general, equipment and supplies are the responsibility of each artist, we are often able to provide at least one large work table per artist.
Visual artists who wish to exhibit are invited to exhibit in our sizeable salon and exhibition space, inside our partnering Holistic Wellness Center. Our artists have also exhibited at the local Regional Museum, as well as in the capital at The National Gallery.
Intercultural ODYSSEYS Costa Rica is a civic, social and non-governmental organization (NGO) founded by Royce Clay Slape Seiger in 2007, with roots going back to 2002. Our two accommodation options for artists in residency, hosted events and volunteers, include a home stay with a carefully selected host family (for complete cultural immersion) or a private suite inside our partnering Holistic Wellness Center (for more control of diet and/or more ample indoor work spaces) We’ve proudly hosted artists (mid twenties to mid 70s in age) from as far abroad as Newfoundland, Canada, Australia, Sweden, Switzerland, France, Germany, Portugal, Argentina, Mexico, U.S.A. and England (including the remote island of Guernsey, of the English Channel islands) – and growing. Though Spanish is our local language, English is spoken widely, and we’ve hosted artists who spoke neither. Those are the kinds of challenges we love. So if you can imagine your project and have the professional skills to make it happen during your residency, we do everything possible to provide you with the uninterrupted time, space and inspiration you need.
- Independent Association/Foundation
- Weeks: 1
- Weeks: 2
- Weeks: 3
- Months: 1 – 3
- Visual Art
- Performing Arts
- Textile Art
- New Media
- Private accommodation
- Shared accommodation
- Private studio / workplace
- Shared studio / workplace
- Space for partners, families, pets
- Musical Instruments
- Access to salvaged and natural materials
- Exhibition space
- Dance/Theatre/Performance Space
- Promotional services
- No requirements
- Family Life
- Open Studios