Kinitiras is the first Residency Centre for performing arts in the city of Athens, It was created in December 2008 and until August 2019 it hosted numerous artists throughout the world from the fields of dance, theatre and performance. Inside its small premises located underneath Akropolis, Kinitiras became a creative hub while at the same time it opened the pathway for the idea of residency centre in Greece.
It was founded in 1995-96 as a dance-theatre group, called Kinitiras Dance spectacle.
Some of Kinitiras’ main actions include:
- emphasis on diversity. Working with people from different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, geographic,academic and professional backgrounds participation in European programs and festivals in Greece and abroad
- alternative approaches in education through the performing arts research and intercultural collaborations through the establishment of Kinitiras Studio (the first Residency Centre for performing arts in Greece)
- encouraging sustainability and growth during challenging sociopolitical times
- social inclusion actions
Kinitiras has created the project EK PLIXI which brought the art of dance into schools, especially in primary education.
Since 2010 Kinitiras has established the “In Progress-Feedback Festival”.
The first festival in Greece that focuses on the creative process and the relationship between the creator and his/her audience instead of being a product oriented process. Through IPFF many young artists have emerged and influenced the cultural scene in Greece.
For more information you may visit www.kinitiras.com and www.youtube.com/user/kinitiras.
- Independent Association/Foundation
- Weeks: 3
- Visual Art
- Performing Arts
- Shared accommodation
- Dance/Theatre/Performance Space
- Production costs