Located in “The Village of Peace”, Tsarimir, right next to the cultural capital of Europe for 2019 – the city of Plovdiv – IMAGO International Artist Residency is a liberating space for visual artists and creatives seeking simple and comfortable working environment for their projects development. It is also a source for artistic growth and inspiration, stemming from the unusual local culture, the inherent natural freedom of the place, the fascinating sights and experiences within the residency as well as the professional curatorial support offered by its founders… Our mission is to create a setting where your artistic potential blossoms!
We address artists predominantly in the field of the visual arts with a stress on contemporary art (painting, photography, light sculpture, installations, textile, video art). The residency is also the right place for creatives looking for solitude while doing their artistic research as well as for musicians, curators, film and new media enthusiasts and professionals.
WHAT MAKES IMAGO SPECIAL BOTH LOCALLY AND GLOBALLY?
1. Perfect Location:
– Really nice climate – hot autumn and spring, mild winter and burning summer!
– Easy and cheap to reach from within Europe.
– Slow and peaceful natural life in the village allowing you to fully focus on your project.
– Overall residency freen area of 2200m2.
– Super tasty home grown food and dishes provided by the locals.
– Amazing opportunities to travel, explore and learn.
– Very affordable living and traveling costs.
2. Exceptional professional support:
We, the founders of the residency, are art historians, curators and contemporary art lecturers – we are also the founders of the independent platform for contemporary art and culture – Art and Culture Today. To the extent you would like, we can:
– Connect you with other professionals in the field – artists, gallery owners, curators.
– Involve you in professional discussions about art.
– Think, discuss and write about your art (stidio visits included).
– Advise you on your professional development.
– Organize pop-up exhibition with your work in Sofia or Plovdiv. Usually it is a group pop-up exhibition with the works of all residents for the month.
– Include your work in our ongoing or future projects.
– Screen for you our lectures in English about contemporary art – both global and Bulgarian – with following discussions.
3. Other exceptional experiences within the residency:
Along with the two cosy studios, the huge yards and the simple and comfortable accommodation, the residency experience allows you to:
– Immerse yourself in a wide and intimate musical exploration through our collection of more than 1000 thousand vinyl records with music from the 12th to the 20th century.
– Enrich yourself through our digital collection of visual art consisting of thousands of artworks.
– Enjoy our wide and inspiring selection of art movies in a super relaxing home cinema setting.
– Treat yourself with hot springs wine & spa experiences!
– Be surprised by the curious local flea markets.
– Join us for things you probably have never done before – riding horses, feeding domestic animals, learn traditional skills and folklore dances, fishing, shooting, flying with a moto delta planer and much more!
You can find more info, photos, Q&A section and much more on our website: https://www.artandculture.today/imago.
STUDIO AND ACCOMMODATION:
The residency is located in a big 2200m2 green property with two houses, two independent studios, beautiful front yard with flowers and vine and huge backyard. One of the houses – with three separate bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom – is entirely for the artists. The bedrooms are 13-15 m2 each, fully furnished, with wifi connection. Everything required for a comfortable stay is available – including laundry machine, fridge, second bathroom and kitchen, the setting is great for socializing and just enjoying your time alone or together with the other residents inside or outside the house!
We accommodate a maximum of three to four artists at the same time.
You can choose to work in the bigger studio (40m2) which is a renovated barn with two independent entrances. When required, it is separated in two by a fence and it becomes a shared studio for two artists. The second studio (25m2) is a renovated garage. Cosy low ceiling space with dim daily light in its inside and bright light next to the big window. Its roof is easily reachable and one can quickly adapt it as a high view point open air studio. The front yard and the huge backyard are also at your disposal – you can choose to work inside, outside or just do both. The second house is where we the founders and our staff stays.
* At the residency we provide you with diverse selection of working tools, musical instruments and leisure equipment which includes:
- Two sewing machines.
– Two guitars (electrical and acoustic), an amplifier, semi-professional synthesizer, tarambuka, harmonicas.
– Easels, different pliers, screw-drivers (including electrical), electrical saws, hammers, electrical sandpapers, drilling machines suitable for wood and metal, paint job tools.
– Inflatable pool suitable for the hottest months (usually between June and the first half of September).
– Imprpovised outdoors fire place.
– Air guns and a small cross-bow.
– Vinyl records player.
– Two bikes.
IS THE RESIDENCY THE RIGHT PLACE FOR YOU?
The standard duration of the residency is 1 month, but we can discuss longer periods too. You can find plenty of photos as well as detailed information about the concept of the residency, the amazing surroundings and the profile of the artists and creatives we are looking for at our website https://www.artandculture.today/imago. For more information you can contact us in advance any time at email@example.com as well as mobile: +359897953372
IMAGO International Artist Residency is part of the independent platform for contemporary art and culture Art and Culture Today (www.ARTandCulture.today), founded in 2016 by Radoslav Mehandzhiyski and Teodora Konstantinova – well established Bulgarian art historians, contemporary art lecturers and curators.
- Private company
- Months: 1
- Months: 1 – 3
- Visual Art
- Performing Arts
- Textile Art
- New Media
- Private accommodation
- Shared accommodation
- Private studio / workplace
- Shared studio / workplace
- Exhibition space
- Library/research resources
- Woodworking tools
- Metalworking tools
- Technical assistance
- Production costs
- Family Life
- Open Studios