● Open to all kinds of fine arts, performing arts, new media, social art, land art, experimental sound, music, literature, installation and others
● Special arrangements for performing or sound groups who want to develop a specific project
● No restrictions according to gender, age or nationality
● Language of application is English or German
● One to two-month residencies available
● Resident artists are expected to share costs of housing (utilities, etc.)
● Shorter stays and plans for “Artists on Tour” by special arrangement
● If you are interested in a 20 weeks volunteering (may-18 until oct-5) look at our website for the application process.
The ELEVEN Artist Residence is an international residency program for artists – located in Starzach-Börstingen, Germany. It is a self-administrated non-profit organization. ELEVEN artspace wants to create an environment for inspiration – a place for artists where they can concentrate on their work – to experiment and play.
The residency program offers privat and combined living and working spaces. The accommodation and workshops are situated in the former administrative offices of an old school (teachers’ room, rector’s, student council room, classrooms, etc.). The rooms – mostly have a washbasin/sink – are simply furnished and could be occupied with 1-3 artists (depending on the room). Toilets and shower are located down the hallway. A fully-equipped common kitchen is also available as well as a patio with the possibility for cooking outside when the weather is nice. By special arrangement there are various other spaces which can be used: a large communal studio (about 70m²), small work room, a small performance space incl. an old school piano, small drums, basic sound equipment, basic tools / craft. On the school ground there are further opportunities: large walls, street-like situations, fields and forests, the Neckar valley and the river itself.
There are a few bicycles available to rent.
During the residency there are ample possibilities to present public artist discussions, readings, lectures, works in public space, etc. A group exhibition takes place in august in the Town of Tübingen, 25 km away. The project as a whole is well-documented by the regional papers. Works-in-progress can be published in social media channels of the project.
Scheduling and Duration
The artist-in-residence program is for the meantime only available between June 1st and September 30. The duration of a residency is one or two months. Rooms for “artist-on-tour” or shorter periods (< one month) can also be provided by special arrangements.
To apply, please send us the following documents
– a short CV with address and contact
– examples of your artistic work (max. 3x DIN A4 pages / or links)
– a brief description of your project / work you want to work on here
– a short statement about your motivation for applying to this place and your expectations of the residency
– desired time frame of residency, one or two months between June and September
– a description of the space requirements you need
– would you share your room with another same-gender artist?
– other languages you speak
The language of application is English or German
Please do not send any originals. Application materials will not be returned by mail.
Photos, videos and sounds only as links or download.
ELEVEN artspace is based in a former secondary school in Börstingen which has been in the process of transition into a location dedicated to Art and Culture. The village of Börstingen (750 inhabitants) is part of the community of Starzach (a union of 5 villages) situated in the Upper Neckar Valley between Rottenburg and Horb. A rural environment close to the larger cultural centers of Tübingen and Stuttgart.
ELEVEN artspace is an independent non-profit art project which is supported by the community of Starzach and the public-service non-profit organization Schnittstelle ELEVEN e.V. The name ELEVEN is derived from the archaic term for “pupils/students” (= Eleve/Elevin/Eleven).
- Independent Association/Foundation
- Months: 1
- Months: 2
- Visual Art
- Performing Arts
- Textile Art
- New Media
- Private accommodation
- Shared accommodation
- Private studio / workplace
- Shared studio / workplace
- Production costs
- Public talk
- Open Studios