An artist residency where the actual local artists and artisans were.
ArtInn Jaipur today provides a platform for both local and international artists to come together to learn, ideate and create works of art
We run personalised workshops at ArtInn Jaipur. Some are run at the residency while others are at the artists village.
The traditional arts of Rajasthan are varied and many . Just as the dialect changes every few kilometres ,the arts and crafts of the region differ in their forms too .The art and and crafts of a region are as colorful as the people and the geography of the desert and semi desert topography .
– Miniature paintings – The traditional art of Miniature painting has been nurtured under the patronage of the Rajas and Maharajs of The erstwhile kingdom of Jaipur Kota Jodhpur ,Udaipur . The school of Miniature painting have existed in the different parts of India but rajsthan boasts of these few schools essentially callled Mewar .Marwar ,Hadoti ,Kishangarh and Jaipur Schools .Each handling the mythology and geographical descriptions of their regions very sensitively and minutely the saga of love romance or wars and mythology .For example the green and lush south rajasthan has been depicted in the hadoti paintings and are famous for their wildlife scenes of hunting .
– We offer a minimum of 3-5 day workshops with a traditional master artist wher besides the technique one can also learn the use of natural pigments ,burnishing techniques and color making .
– Textiles . The five and a half metre saree lengths of the Indian women can run into into a hundred shades ,designs ,weaves and embellishments
In Rajasthan though it’s a mere 3 metres but beautifully tie and dyed in the brightest of yellows and reds or the lehariya pattern of slanting stripes in magentas and pinks . The soft kota muslin are block printed in earth colors or indigo resist dyed .
The small towns of Bagru and Sanganer are essentially towns of traditional block printers for the last four hundred years and we conduct workshops as well as organise tours for these towns .
– Blue pottery We organise pottery workshops at Kripal kumbh ,a studio of the famous mastercraftsman Kripal Singh .
– Though it has origin from Persia it has evolved as a local art and mastered and nurtured by the royal patronage in Jaipur .It essentially involves the process of throw for the base and moulding glazing and painting . The color palette is restricted to blue and is derived from cobalt oxide green from copper oxide and white . The use of blue glaze on pottrey is from fullers earth .The pots are sun dried and glazed .the furnace or kilns are hanmade for the studios .and wood fired traditionally at 2000degerees for 2 plus days
– Enamelling meenakari or enamelling is an elaborate process .This age old technique involves engraving the gold or silver givien a design .The designs are traditional and linked to images of gods ,dieties and nature .The the engraved ares re filled with powder color glass and placed in the little kils or furnaces .The process is repeated till you get the required color and polis hed ,burnished with a wet stone .
– Workshops in Silver and gold jewellery making techniques by hand are also organised on request
– Handmade paper is practised in sanganer
– Other folk arts like mandana drawings on floor for festive occassions , kavad
– Phad paintings are scrolls depicting legends of heroes .
– Pichwais are cloth wall hangings which go as backdrops for Images of temples ,
– ,tie and dye ,
– wall frescoes are famous of the shekhawati regions etc
ARTINN JAIPUR CENTER
Trust for the art and crafts of Rajasthan
The rich and diverse cultural heritage of Rajasthan manifests itself in the glory of its art and crafts. However, given the pace of modernisation and fast changing socio-economic miliue, this vibrant, living heritage faces a serious threat. The ArtInn Jaipur Trust is an initiative to keep the leagacy of our rich heritage alive. It provides a platform to local artisans and artists from the around the world to come together , collaborate and create so as to nurture and sustain the varied art forms.
ArtInn Jaipur – Artist Residency
The traditional art form residency gives an opportunity to both young and established artists ,creative people from around the globe to learn centuries old art forms. It is an opportunity to not just learn but to adapt, interpret, develop and create new contemporary forms of traditonal art and crafts.
Its an open program and is personalised as per the artists request. Workshops are held for groups and individuals basis which a personalised schedule is worked out in coordination with the traditional artists and artisan.
- Hotel or Guest house
- Months: 4
- Months: 5
- Months: 6
- Months: 6+
- Years: 1
- Years: 1+
- Months: 1 – 3
- Months: 6 – 12
- Visual Art
- Performing Arts
- Textile Art
- New Media
- Education Programmes
- Private accommodation
- Space for partners, families, pets
- Exhibition space
- Dance/Theatre/Performance Space
- Library/research resources
- Sound recording studio
- Ceramic facilities
- Welding tools
- Woodworking tools
- Metalworking tools
- Printmaking facilities
- Technical assistance
- Promotional services
- please choose
- Public talk
- Donation of artwork
- No requirements
- Puppet Construction
- Forest Conservation
- Family Life
- Open Studios